A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words...

Send your thousand words to Sorella Langham at the following address:

Until May in the Missionary Training Center:
Sister Rebecca Leigh Langham
Italy Milan Mission
Provo Missionary Training Center
2005 N 900 E
Provo, UT 84606

And from May 2010 until September 2011:
Sister Rebecca Leigh Langham
Italy Milan Mission
Via Gramsci, 13/4
20090 Opera MI
Italy

Sunday, October 24, 2010

August 11, 2010 - Verona, Italy

First of all, this week I have had a couple of eerie old lady experiences. We have a member who lives in a casa di cura (like an old folk's home) whom the R.S. pres. has asked us to go visit, so we do. This old lady came up and really wanted to hold my hand, but really she was just looking for a tissue because her nose was running, so then she took the tissue my companion gave her and my companion's hand, and then dragged my companion off with her for five minutes or so into the dining room to find her seat. Then the next time we went, another old lady followed us into the stairwell and started trying to go down the stairs. But I was afraid she would fall, so I took her arm and helped her down. We get to the bottom of the stairs, and then she kept trying to go down further, but there weren't any more stairs! So then we asked her if she wanted to go back up since she couldn't keep going down, so then I helped her back up all the stairs, and we took her back into her hallway, but she wouldn't let go of me. She was pretty old and weak looking, but she had a vice-like grip and I really couldn't get out. I finally had to use my other hand to pry hers off mine, but then she would grab that hand. It was ridiculous! We finally get her off with the help of a nurse and ran into the stairwell before she could grab hold again and had to almost close the door on her to keep her from coming back in the stairwell. That was intense. Then we were doing casa the other day, maybe even yesterday, and knocked on the door and this very old woman answered with a slightly eerie smile on. She said how wonderful it was that we finally found her and I thought, 'maybe she's not eerie, just super ready,' then she shook my companion's hand. Then she shook my hand, but decided not to let go. Instead, with the same eerie smile on and without an inch of change in any part of her expression, she yanks me forward through the door right up to her face, and I was a little bit frozen and not knowing what to do, and then she kissed me on the cheek like the Italians do, so I was a little less alarmed, but still a little weirded out. Then she pulled me in further and made me go past her into the house and beckoned my companion in. Then her very old husband also came out so I greeted him. Then her daughter came out and got very very angry at us and commanded us to get out and go away! So then we had to run away. It was so bizarre.

But in the way of other news, we have made some real progress with one investigator. She really is beautiful, and also super intense. But she has had a really hard life, and we talked to her about it the time before last, and helped her see that it is possible to be happy even in difficult circumstances. This time we shared the plan of salvation. Her son passed away unexpectedly a year ago, and it has been very hard for her and her husband, but just in these last few times we have seen her since she got out of the hospital I have seen her soften a lot and really start to open up her heart more. She really is searching, and I am so happy for the peace that I know the gospel will bring her. She said her first prayer for us yesterday, a major turning point! Normally she has us pray. She is really adorable about prayers. She always interrupts us to tell us what to pray for. The first time I remember praying for her with her there she stopped us and said, 'no, no, that is my nickname, you have to use my name from my baptism so that He knows who you are talking about.' And then she will often interrupt for things like, 'don't forget to pray that my husband will stop blaspheming,' or 'pray that the word will enter my heart,' but all of this happens in the middle of the prayer. Yesterday when I was saying the opening prayer she stopped and said, 'every time you pray I just want to open my eyes and stare at you and I can't keep my eyes closed! Why can't I keep my eyes closed?' And so then we have to respond, but we are in the middle of a prayer. I haven't figured it out yet, what is the prayer ettiquete? Should you close and then say like five prayers to get it all said that you want to say, just ignore her, or just respond and then keep on with the prayer when you are done? Who knows? At least I do know that whatever way you do it God is listening. I think He is probably pleased with her for paying such attention during the prayer and being so conscientious of praying in her own way, like asking about little details like eyes closed, and like always having something to say in the prayer. It is fun.

Antonella is doing well, we got to meet her sons on Friday, Niccolo and Samuele. They are 15 and 17, and have hearts every bit as kind as Antonella's. We got to go walk around centro with them and their family and gave them each a Book of Mormon. It was fun.

Also, Benita is back and forth in health. Better one day and not as good the next. She cannot see at all anymore really, so we try to do not just visual aids but tactile aids as much as possible to help her feel involved. We love going to see her, despite everything she is still so kind and cheerful and always joking. JR, her friend who is 24 and takes care of her, is really progressing as we are teaching him. He is actually thinking about baptism right now, and taking it very seriously. He loves the Book of Mormon and prayed to know if Joseph Smith was a prophet and said he felt good, a really bright feeling. He really thinks that Joseph Smith could have been a prophet. Meno male we know he was. It is really cool to watch people search for and then gradually find the truth. I love it. And prayer has such power, and the Book of Mormon really has converting power, and that comes because it is truly the word of God, written by true prophets, and because it testifies so fully of Jesus Christ our Savior and Redeemer. That brings power into the words of the book, and people feel that power when they read. It is so important that they read and pray, because those are the things that will help them gain the faith they are searching for. It is also the things that we must do in order to endure to the end, because those two small things done daily, combined with going to church weekly, will give us a strong and very real protection from temptation. It is true. Always read your scriptures and pray every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment